Monday, October 18, 2004

Midtown Monday

Todday I went exploring. I got the Subway to 42nd/6th and walked around Midtown. I walked from the NY Public Library (Shh ... can you smell something?), past Grand Central Station and the Chrysler building and across to the UN building on the East river. There I took the guided tour; I visited the rooms where nations meet and saw a blackened statue from Hiroshima.

Then I went for a Manhattan at the Manhattan Hilton.

From there I walked past St Barts and St Pats to Rockefella Plaza. Where I watched the folks ice-skate on the rink and workers set up TV screens and build a replica Air Force One for a political rally. Then I walked up to Radio City Music Hall and Carnegie Hall. Along the way I saw them laying the red carpet for the premier of Jude Law's new film Alfie. I also tried to find Trump Tower, but failed miserably.

Now I was a little tired. God knows how many miles I walked, but I did walk the equivalent of the width of Manhattan at least twice. With my legs aching I caught a Yellow cab for some dinner, to a place called Mars 2112 on 51st/Broadway. A very naff sci-fi themed restaurant. After boarding my interstellar transport and traveling 108 years into the future, I ate and drank in the rocky caves of the Red Planet.

After I wandered down to Times Square, where I basked in the neon and plasma glow and burned my leg on some damn steam from a subway grate. Then I headed back to the hostel. I spent the rest of the night drinking free Bass beer (left over from Ollie's 22nd on Sat) and playing cards with two Swedish girls and a guy from South Africa (who was called Llwelyn and part Welsh). Bed called as I started to drift off while chatting to Llwelyn and a Yankee girl who looks just like Emma Brooks. Small world...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home