Thursday, October 21, 2004

Out of Town

A little hung-over from last night I had a late start. My list of official tourist stops was still pretty short, so I decided to make up some ground. First stop, the Staten Island Ferry. I caught the Subway to the southern tip of Manhattan and caught the ferry. It's free and runs a 24-hour service (30 mins each way). They are renovation the ferry ports, so they where in a bit of a state. Everywhere I go something is being repaired or renovated. NY is reminding me more and more of Manchester.

The trip was nice. The weather was overcast and a little rainy, but I did get my first sight of Lady Liberty. At the other end I got off and skipped there next return service so I could wander. It's completely different being out of Manhattan. No skyscrapers here and the temperature is freezing. Being between all those buildings and tourists really makes a difference.

After that I caught a bus over to the Brooklyn Bridge to walk across. After ages trying to find an on ramp, it was only a 20 min walk. It was a brilliant view across the East River. And I even saw Gabriel Byrne walking the other way.

After that I caught the Subway over to the World Trade Centre sight. I ended up in the re-build train station that used to be under the tower, which was a little confusing. The place looked just like a building site. Which wasn't particulary interesting. Then I noticed that people had written prayers and messages on the steel security fencing. That brought a tear to my eye...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home