Thursday, November 04, 2004

The 2nd City

First stop is the Public Library building down the street, apparently they provide foreign visitor with free internet time. The building is wonderful art-deco design but is only 10-years old and is massive inside. The computer room is large and well equipped, it feels good to use a real keyboard for a change.

The weather isn't great. It rained last night and this morning is grey and a little damp. Not a great day for sight-seeing, but with only a couple of days in the city I can't afford to waste any. So, I head of for my now patented random wandering/picture taking of the city. I spend the next couple of hours going up State St, through millennium Park and Grants Park. I walk along the lake shore all the way down to the Field Museum and the Planetarium.

When it starts I head back to the hostel. A group of kids from a nearby school are doing a cultural exchange project at the hostel. In exchange for chatting to some teenagers and listening to they presentation on Morocco, I get a free Moroccan dinner. The meal is made up of a chicken in honey with apricots and prunes (which is quite nice), a vegetarian cous-cous dish (not so good) and some almond biscuits (hard).

After this I head out to a comedy improve night at Second City with the hostel crowd. On the way, I get to ride the El for the first time. It's not bad, but as we only go to the free after show section, it only lasts about an hour or so. So with it being only about 10.30, and being abandoned by our guide again, we head back to the hostel area to find a bar for drinks. I end up in Miller's Bar again and spend the next couple of hours chatting and drinking with, Karen, Iain from Liverpool, Lonnie from Edinburgh and a local guy at the bar called Tim. I assume I make it back to bed...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home