Saturday, October 30, 2004

Back in Boston

It's raining and overcast when I wake. The day seems to be a washout, but when I leave the hostel there's a crowd of people at the end of the street. In case you didn't know Boston Red Socks won the World Series (that's baseball's equivalent of winning the Champions league) for the first time in 86-year. This is a BIG thing here! Today they are having a parade. They estimate there are 3.5 million people on the streets.

Despite not knowing anything about baseball and not being local, I can't help being caught up in the festivities. I spend the next couple of hours following the crowd around as they chase the players and their families around the city. The team is being driven around in Duck Boats and the lead one is none other than good-old Cpt Foghorn's. I've driven that!

When I get bored of the 'chase', I head over to Fenway stadium to see the local 'hallowed ground'. I find a local mini-mart and get my pictures burned onto CD, as by this time I've reached my limit. As I leave, I'm just in time to see the team in their Duck Boats return to the stadium.

As the weather is still bad, I go looking for a fresh novel to read and then head back to the hostel. There's not many people around, so I head down to pier side for a 'table for one' meal. At The Chart House I have real Boston style Clam Chowder and north Atlantic King Crab. I only got the crab's legs, but by the size of them, I'm glad I didn't see the rest of that monster!

After the meal, I head back to the hostel. While chilling out with my book, I end up in a conversation with a Texan girl called Daleane. We chat until 3am (which is only 2am as the clocks go back) about traveling, jobs, how much the world has changed since we were kids and anything else comes to out sleep addled minds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home