Sunday, October 31, 2004

This is Halloween!

Despite the lack of sleep I head out and catch the morning train to Salem for the Halloween day festivities. The train is packed and when I get there the place is heaving!

I was planning on dressing up, but with the hassle of staying at the hostel I decided against it and opted just to wear my Bat T. When I get to Salem I regret and am glad of the decision. About 60-70% of the hundreds of people hear are in costume. Some are simple home made ones (lots of sports costumes and builders), some are cheap rented ones (lots of food theamed ones?) and some are absolutely fabulous (an angel with 6ft wing and a guy with a 8ft high gold dragon!). I feel a little sad that I'm not part of the dressing up club but to be honest I would have been embarrassed next to some of these people.

The streets are full of stalls selling food, new age goods, t-shirts and ones doing professional make-up jobs. Everything is witch-theamed in Salem. The streets are lined with tarot readers, ghost houses and witch museums.

I spend a couple of hours wandering around, drinking spicy hot cider and looking at the people and the town. The buildings a wonderful old New England wooden houses and the pier has a replica of one of the first settler ships and an inspiring view of the estuary. I find a brilliant comic shop and wander through eerie old graveyards.

As it starts to get dark I head over to the Salem Witch Museum to hear about the Witch trials. After the show, I head back to the main street to have some free coca and listen to some free music at the fountain stage. Then it's back onto the packed train and back to the hostel before midnight. Just in case...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home