Friday, November 05, 2004

Bullets and Blues

The sky is clear and blue today so after my morning trip to the library, I head uptown.

When I came to Chicago I thought of two things - blues and gangsters. Strangle when I got hear there aren't many gangster theamed activities. I guess the don't like to talk about it. The only thing I did find is a bus tour called the untouchables tour. So I board the black painted school bus and out two guides (Southside and Al Dente) take us on around the city showing ups where the big faces of the prohibition era lived, 'worked' and died. Along the way there are a few laughs and some contemporary advice.

At the end of the trip I make my way downtown towards the Sears Tower. I stop off at the House of the Blues. The building is hidden between the hotel complex and two giant, cylindrical parking garages. Inside though it's wonderfully colourfull and ethnic. All wooden and upholstered. I had agreed to come hear tonight with some of the gang from the hostel, but I find out that the show is sold out for the weekend. A shame but talking to one of the bus guys and looking at the program, they only seem to play non-blues stuff.

After stopping off at Union station, I head up the Sears Tower in time for sunset. It's easier to get into than the ESB and view is amazing. You can see for over 50 miles on a good day and because Chicago stretches along most of the western coast of lake Michigan the whole view lights up at nighttime. So I've now been up three of the tallest buildings in the world. Somebody get me a frickin' medal already! At the top I bump into Ashley from that terrible train journey from Niagara to NY. Small world?

Then it's time to head back to the hostel, to re-arrange the evenings plans...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home