Saturday, November 06, 2004

Sweet Home Chicago

After another night of drinking and blues, I decide on a quiet morning. As it's another clear, blue day in Chicago I ride the El up to a place called Oz Park, a Wizard of Oz (which was written here) themed community park in the Lincoln park area. Thus ends the Wizard of Oz theme to my trip.

Then I ride the train around for an hour or so and final make my way up to the Magnificent Mile area. I take a look at the water tower (the only building in the area to avoid the Great fire), the Tribune Building and the shopping district. The Tribune Building has a series of rocks and stone pieces from around the world embedded in the walls around its base. So you can touch parts of buildings and mountains from all the corners of the world.

Next I trek across to the Navy Pier, to take a look at the outdoor art and ride the 150ft Ferris Wheel. On the way back I stop off at Billy Goat's Tavern. It's an old, greasy-spoon which is underground. Most of the Magnificent Mile is actually one storey up, the actual street is underground and mostly parking. It was part on a Saturday Night Live sketch with John Belushi. The make the best cheeseburger I have ever tasted! I have two and an ale and head back to the hostel.

Ashley has turned up at the hostel now. So after an hour or so of chatting. Me, Ash, Iain and a New Yorker from Wall Street, head down to Buddy Guy's Legends Bar for my final dose of blues and booze. The support act is a two-piece, a woman singing on lead and a guy on base. The main act is a guy called Paul White Jones, he looks about 60 and his backing guys look about 25. The guy looks and sings like a veteran. We drink and listen to him (and his sister when she gets up to sing a play guitar) until 1.30 then head back to bed.

One day to go...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home