Monday, October 25, 2004

T-h-e L-o-n-g-e-s-t D-a-y . . .

I arrived at Penn Station NY at 2am. Only a 5 1/2 hour wait for my next train to Toronto! The stations was empty and everything was closed. I must have caught the 'City that never sleeps' napping. Not wanting to hang around with all the tramps, I wandered across to the Pennsylvania Hotel and sat outside a coffee shop for 3 hours reading my birthday book and trying to stay awake.

Once on the train I tried to get some sleep, but NO that's not going to happen! With uncomfortable seats, people wittering all around and some woman tearing paper for about 3 hours I wasn't getting any sleep. The trip was long and draining. Just after I got my energy back from NY too.

Crossing the USA/Canada border was a bit of a joke. We had the get off at the side of the road on the US side so a Border Official could look at my passport and go 'OK, you're fine' and we had to wait at the Canadian side for an hour while their officials wandered through the train and stamped our passports.

Once in Toronto I check into the Hostel and bump into a guy from London. I have a shower to was the 'train' off me and then as it's gone 9pm we decide to get something to eat. We go to a nearby spaghetti place where I got spaghetti and meatballs (plus free soup and tea) for about $10. The we head back to the hostel for sleep. It's at this point I realise I've been awake for 2-days...

3 Comments:

At 10:13 am, October 27, 2004, Blogger Brian Jones said...

Alright mate...do tramps in America ask for 10p for a cup of tea???

 
At 11:02 am, October 27, 2004, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nah, i saw a begging tramp in san francisco holding a sign which read "why lie i want beer"

...Dawbo...

 
At 7:10 pm, October 30, 2004, Blogger Mark Slattery said...

Nah, the all ask for 25c for a MacDonalds.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home